Top 10 places to see in Nainital
Nainital, the most popular hill station is located in the state of Uttarakhand at an altitude of approx 2100 meters above the sea level. With its majestic view of Himalayas and several Lakes around, it has many sightseeing options. Nanital is a tourist hub throughout the year but in summers it attracts more people. It is among the top choices for the newly wed couples for their honeymoon. These are the Top 10 places to see in Nainital.
Top 10 places to see in Nainital
- NainitalLake : Situated in the middle of the town, the lake is popularly known as Naini Lake. The lake is divided into two parts, Mallital- the northern side of the lake and Tallital- the southern end of the lake. The lake is popular for its boating which has become favourite pastime for visitors.
- Naina Devi Temple: Located on the northern shore of Naini Lake, the temple plays a major role in the origin of myths surrounding Nainital. This ancient temple was built somewhere in 15th Century A.D. But after the death of his wife Sati, Hindu God Shiva was so distraught that it led to destruction of the temple somewhere in 1880’s which was later rebuilt due to its great importance amongst devotees.
- Naina Peak: Naina Peak, also termed as China Peak, is one of the highest peaks in this town having an altitude of 2611 mts. It is one of the popular spot for trekking in Nainital. In the west you can see sparkling Himalayas from Bandar Punch range and in the east, you can see Nari and Api peaks of Nepal.You can hire Horses from Snow view or Mallital to visit the peak.
- Snow View: counted among the most visited tourist spots of the town, Snow View is located at an average height of 2,270 mtrs above the sea level. You can reach their either by Cable car or Rope way. You can view major peaks like Trishul, Nanda Kot and Nanda Devi from the snow cap of Himalayas. The spot can be visited from 10am to 5 pm and is chargeable on hourly basis.
- Tiffin Top: Situated at the height of 2292 mtrs above sea level, this place is located at Aryapatta region and is also termed as Dorothy’s seat. This was created in the memory of Mrs. Kellet Dorothy, an English lady, who would sit at this spot and follow her painting hobby. Tiffin Top gives a mesmerizing view of the Himalayas and also of the neighbouring country side.
- Land’s End: Lands End is situated at 2120 mtrs above sea level which gives a beautiful view of these plains as well as the beautiful Khurpa Tal which is surrounded by pine trees and a beautiful village.You do not have to climb much here. You can drive to Barapathar and then trek 1 km to the spot. Land’s End and Tiffin Top can be covered simultaneously as both the spots are very nearby
- Hanuman Garhi: At a height of 1951 mtrs, Hanuman Garhi is a known Lord Hanumans Temple situated to the south of Tallital. Famous for view during sun-set, you can go there either by taxi or bus or walking from Nainital. The temple is known for its premeditated location. On the hill’s other side, there is Ashram of Lila Sah Bapu and Shitala Devi temple.
- Eco Caves Garden: Located in Sukhtal or Mallital, on the Kaladungi road, the Eco Cave Garden is fast becoming a popular destination for tourists. Eco Caves Garden is an interconnected caves consisting of six small caves with the forms of tiger, panther, porcupine and so on. A very good place to visit and is specially of great interest for kids
- Kilbury Bird Sanctuary: If you are bird lovers, then this place is the right one for you to visit. Located 12 kms from Nainital, you will get plenty of birds of different species to watch at Kilbury Bird Sanctuary. These forests are located in Pangot, a picturesque village, and they provide sufficient opportunities to Bird watchers and makes Kilbury a perfect birding holiday destination.
- St John In The Wilderness:The finest Church in any Hill station of India, St John was named by the bishop of Calcutta who visited Nainital in the year 1844. The church is located at the north end of the town. Built in stained glass windows and ancient wood pew, this church is a place worth visiting.